The Cemex site in Barton-Upon-Humber endured a critical disaster when the river Humber burst its banks flooding the entire site, leaving the site with no power.
ISS where asked to attend site and assess the extent of damage, including visual checks of all power equipment, oil sampling of the many oil filled transformers, electrical testing of the switchgear and power cabling, to determine a plan of action.
We quickly established a 2 phase plan. Phase 1 Disaster Recovery. Phase 2 Permanent Reconfiguration.
Phase 1 was Disaster Recovery, liaise with the DNO to gain a temporary supply, with ISS providing new LV switchgear and refurbished HV switchgear and transformers, allowing Cemex to quickly restore production of their core products.
Phase 2 was the Permanent Reconfiguration of the Cemex HV network. The permanent reconfiguration involved a full site survey which ultimately required relocation and/or replacement of;
- A 28 Panel 11kV Primary Switchboard & Mimic Panel
- 3 No. 4 Panel 11kV Secondary Distribution Switchboards
- 20 No. 11kV / 415V ONAN Transformers
- 10 No. New LV Distribution Switchboards
- Substation Earthing
- HV & LV cabling
ISS carried out the full design of the LV & HV switchgear, transformers, cabling, earthing systems, including
- Layout of a new primary substation
- Structural design of the new substation
- Protection Relays & Fault Level Discrimination Study
- Design, manufacture & installation of HV & LV switchboards
- Sizing of HV and LV cable using AMTECH software
- Calculate, provide & install Protection Settings using AMTECH software
- Installation and termination of all HV cables
- ISS manufactured our own range of LV Switchgear, and manufactured the 11kV Primary (NXPlus) and Secondary (NXAir) Siemens switchgear.
ISS where able to design, procure, manufacture, install and commission all of the power equipment and cabling, down to the small power and wiring, utilising our internal design, installation and protection specialists, and working with our supply chain partners. This enabled ISS to meet each of the key milestones for the project, with the site fully operational ahead of time.
A brief video of the Disaster Recovery Project can be viewed here;